Welcome! We are a friendly band of people in Melbourne, Australia, learning to use our brains better, in order to live better. “Aspiring rationalists”, if you will.
We’re interested in:
- Epistemic rationality – getting closer to understanding what’s true.
- Instrumental rationality – being more effective at our goals.
- Applying rationality to ourselves (rather than just talking about how other people are irrational).
Our inspiration comes from:
- The website Less Wrong, and its Sequences. However, a local real life community is a different beast from a global online community. (It’s easier to be friendly in real life.)
- The Center for Applied Rationality (CFAR). CFAR held its first workshops outside the USA in early 2014, in Victoria. A number of us participated and found it very valuable.
- Many other sources, including great books about the mind, changing habits, and communication…) and related groups within Melbourne (notably Effective Altruism Melbourne).
What we do
We meet regularly in Melbourne for:
- A Social Meetup on the first Friday night of each month, generally at a quiet pub near the city. Announced on our Google calendar and FB group.
- A Rationality Dojo each month. These are in hiatus, and we hope to restart sometime in 2019. Past topics include: The Planning Fallacy, Cognitive Dissonance, Memory, Fixed Mindset & Growth Mindset, Communication Strategies, and How to Learn Faster & Teach More Effectively. These are held in or near the CBD.
- Impromptu social outings, excursions and discussions.
Find out more
For announcements and event details, or to ask a question, join us online: